Friday 3 July 2009

Birchwood ladies 5k

Wednesday night saw the 17th running of the Birchwood Ladies 5k, organised by the Spectrum Striders running club. As you might have guessed from the picture in the 'About Me' section further down this page, I wasn't eligible for this race. However, my wife was taking part in her second formal run so I went along to support.

101 (you couldn't make it up, could you!) ladies turned up for the event, on what had been a scorcher of a day. the 7:30pm start time at lease meant that the heat was toned down slightly. I've a feeling that the temperature had an adverse effect on the overall times though as the winner came in at 19mins 17sec, and by my reckoning only five ladies came back in under 20mins.

Not being accustomed to spectating at races, or such small fields, it was an interesting experience to just watch the race and chat to the friendly marshals at the finish line as we waited for the runners to come back home. From what I heard from my wife the course was well laid out and well marshaled - the only moan being the typical penultimate marshal who claims the finish is a lot closer than it is.

Thank you Spectrum Striders for organising a lovely little race, and here's to the 18th edition.

Congratulations to Tessa McCormick of Vale Royal AC for the indvidual and Vale Royal AC for the team wins.

No comments: