Wednesday 25 September 2019

From the fell-britain.co.uk archives: Patience

Back in 2013-14 I was involved in the Fell Britain project. I'm going to migrate as much of the content that the associated blog (fell-britain.co.uk) had as possible back to here. This post is originally from December 2013.
On the running front, things have been a little bit quiet for me recently.
At the beginning of November I played a game of squash with a work colleague, and two days later I pulled up in agony a few hundred metres into a run. The cause: a shooting pain in my left knee that it was impossible to run through. After a week, I tried to run again to no avail. It’s now more than six weeks since that first damage to my knee. I’ve seen a GP and a physio, one of whom told me there was nothing wrong while the other told me it was likely a torn meniscus and I’d probably need surgery.
In the meantime I’m learning patience: and Andy Jones-Wilkins has written a fabulous piece about that skill for ultra-runners over on iRunFar.
I managed a 5km, flat road run today - so things are looking up. But I’ve thoroughly enjoyed getting into watching the cross-country ski world cup, and have even invested in some Nordic skates as a new challenge and a new cross training tool. And patience (and my obsessive nature) have led me to discover some great video resources on training for cross-country skiing, and I’ve found the strength training video from the Swedish Winter Sports Research Centre especially helpful. It’s shared below.

No comments: